MyFloridaCode.com

[Florida Code Talk] Replacement Door (Protection from Windborne Debris)
Randy Shackelford rshackelford at strongtie.com
Fri May 20 18:37:06 EDT 2011

If this were new construction it would be pretty clear.
The FBC-Residential says "Windows in buildings located in wind-borne debris regions shall have glazed openings protected from wind-borne debris."
So the original door did not have to be impact resistant if it did not have a window in it.  If it was new construction, the window in the door would have to be impact resistant.
For the HVHZ, different story.  It says "R4403.16.1 All parts or systems of a building or structure envelope such as, but not limited, to exterior walls, roof, outside doors, skylights, glazing and glass block shall meet impact test criteria or be protected with an external protection device that meets the impact test criteria. Test procedures to determine resistance to wind-borne debris of wall cladding, outside doors, skylights, glazing, glass block, shutters and any other external protection devices shall be performed in accordance with this section."

But this case would be governed by the FBC-Existing Buildings.  It would depend on if the replacement is a "repair" or not.  If it's just a replacement, it's a level 1 alteration.  If it's a repair, then it's a repair.

If it's a repair, then here is what I see:
Section 501 says the following:
501.2 Permitted materials. Except as otherwise required or permitted by this code, materials permitted by the applicable code for new construction shall be used. Like materials shall be permitted, provided no hazard to life, health or property is created.
501.3 Conformance. The work shall not make the building less conforming than it was before the repair was undertaken.
So that would seem to say that the new door should have impact windows in it.

But if you consider the door a structural element, the 506.1 would apply.  It says:
506.1.2 Wind design. Wind design of existing buildings shall be in accordance with the building codes that were in effect when the building was permitted.
So if the original building was built before the windborne debris requirements came into being, you could make an argument that they should not be required now.

On the other hand, if its not a repair, then it's a Level 1 alteration.
606.4 Replacement of windows and doors. The replacement of garage doors, exterior doors, skylights, operative and inoperative windows shall be designed and constructed to comply with Chapter 16 of the Florida Building Code, Building.
Exceptions:
1. Opening protection exception: For one- and two-family dwellings constructed under codes other than the Florida Building Code and located in wind-borne debris regions, the replacement of garage doors and exterior doors with glazing, sliding glass doors, glass patio doors, skylights and operable and inoperable windows within any 12-month period shall not be required to have opening protection but shall be designed for wind pressures for enclosed buildings, provided the aggregate area of the glazing in the replaced components does not exceed 25 percent of the aggregate area of the glazed openings in the dwelling or dwelling unit.
2. Opening protection exception for High-Velocity Hurricane Zones: For one- and two-family dwellings constructed under codes prior to September 1, 1994, the replacement of exterior doors with glazing, sliding glass doors, glass patio doors, skylights and operable and inoperable windows within any 12-month period shall not be required to have opening protection, provided the aggregate area of the glazing in the replaced components does not exceed 25 percent of the aggregate area of the glazed openings in the dwelling or dwelling unit.

BUT, I note the exceptions above say replacement of "exterior doors with glazing".  That is not really the case here, you seem to be talking about exterior doors without glazing being replaced with doors WITH glazing.  So I might go back to 601.2 that says:
601.2 Conformance. An existing building or portion thereof shall not be altered such that the building becomes less safe or energy efficient than its existing condition. If in the alteration the current level of safety or sanitation is to be reduced, the portion altered shall conform to the requirements of the Florida Building Code, Building.

Within that context, it makes sense that a door with glazing could be replaced by another door with glazing, because you are not making the building less "safe".  But if you replace a door WITHOUT glazing with a door WITH glazing, you could make the argument that you are making the building less safe, so that may not be permitted.

Just muddying things up

Randy Shackelford

Simpson Strong-Tie Co.

800-999-5099, ext. 3029