MyFloridaCode.com

[Florida Code Talk] Fwd: Re: Energy Calcs
Robert Antol rantol at co.volusia.fl.us
Tue Apr 26 11:03:19 EDT 2011

>>> Robert Antol 4/25/2011 6:10 PM >>>
IMHO, the situation that you describe "could be" described as a
"retro-fit" in that there are modifications being made to the existing
mechanical SYSTEM.  However only truss and roof bracing retro-fits are
addressed in the Florida Existing Building Code ( Chapter 16 ).  The
scope of work appears to best be classified as a Level 2 ALTERATION
(....the reconfiguration or extension of any system... ) Section 404 of
the Florida Existing Building Code.  Compliance with sections 609 and
709 of the FBC-E which also reference compliance with 301.11...  "301.11
Repair. Defective material or parts shall be replaced or
repaired in such a manner so as to preserve the original approval or
listing."

    The request for energy calculations appear to come from the FBC-E
requirements for section 612 and section 711 for ENERGY CONSERVATION
which reference Chapter 13 of the Florida Building Code.  Strictly
speaking, it is doubtful that this project meets the "Energy Code"
definition for renovation>>>

" RENOVATION. ANY STRUCTURAL REPAIR, RECONSTRUCTION OR RESTORATION TO A
STRUCTURE, THE COSTS OF WHICH EQUALS OR EXCEEDS OVER A ONE-YEAR PERIOD,
A CUMULATIVE TOTAL OF 30 PERCENT OR THE ASSESSED VALUE OF THE STRUCTURE
WHEN THAT VALUE IS ASSESSED......"  FEC SUBCHAPTER 13-2 DEFINITIONS.

Assuming there is no change in occupancy, this project may be
classified as exempt from sizing calculations and energy forms per
paragraph 13-101.5 EXEMPT  BUILDINGS and paragraph 13-101.6 EXCEPTIONS:
#4 (FBC-B)  and paragraph N1100.0.2 BUILDING SYSTEMS - EXCEPTIONS: #4 (
FBC-R ).

IMHO,  what is important that the retrofitted mechanical system
relocated in the attic shall conform to the requirements for attic
installations in its reconfigured location.  ( section 306 . 3
Appliances in attics and section 307 Condensate disposal ( Florida
Mechanical Code )

Plans Examiner
BU806, PX 986, BN 230
(386) 626- 6591 Ext. 2098
rantol at co.volusia.fl.us

>>> "Bob Koning" <Bob at ContractorsInstitute.com> 4/25/2011 2:04 PM >>>
I have a former student with a perplexing problem. He replaced the old
air-handler and condensing unit on an existing small residential home.
The old air handler was installed vertically in a small closet. Due to
unit size and owner wishes, the unit was horizontally installed in the
attic. All work was permitted and proper.

The issue is that the inspector is now requiring an energy calculation
pursuant to Chapter 13-6, claiming it became a "Renovation" when the
unit was relocated.

My reading is that this falls under the Existing Building Code as at
best a "repair" or at worst a "Level 1 Alteration". Assuming the
latter,
the mechanical requirement of a Level 1 requires compliance with
301.11
of the Mechanical Code, which states:

"301.11 Repair. Defective material or parts shall be replaced or
repaired in such a manner so as to preserve the original approval or
listing."

I don't see the requirement; am I missing something?

Cordially,

R.J.Koning - Director

Contractors Institute

rjkoning at contractorsinstitute.com