MyFloridaCode.com

[Florida Code Talk] FW: handicap parking in condos
WR290 at aol.com WR290 at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 22:23:31 EDT 2008

Steven

Chapter 11 does not apply to anything that is 4 or more or covered by an
elevator ( a condominium)  The fair housing act applies, ( There are 2  different
standards, one for 4 or more or covered by an elevator(  read the  heading of
Chapter 11 all that is talking about is that the door located in the
bathroom as it states must be at least 29". If you apply this standard in a
condominium you will be in violation of The fair housing act with requires doors  to
be a nominal 32" clear. That is a 2'10 door. See the introduction and the
difference between Part A and Part B

Part A

Introduction

In 1993 the Florida Legislature enacted the “Florida Americans with
Disability Accessibility Implementation Act.” The purpose and intent of this Act
(Sections 553.501-553.513, Florida Statutes) is to incorporate into the laws of
Florida the accessibility requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act of
  1990, Public Law No. 101-336, 42 U.S.C. Section 12101 et. seq. ADA, while
at the  same time to maintain those provisions of Florida law that are more
stringent  than the ADA accessibility guidelines, that is, those provisions which
are more  favorable to the needs of the disabled. In 1997 the legislature
amended the Act  to complete the move to establish consistency of the Florida
accessibility  building code to the Federal ADA Accessibility Guidelines as
adopted by the  Department of Justice at 28 CFR part 36, Appendix A. Nothing in
Section  553.501-553.513 is intended to expand or diminish the defenses available
to a  place of public accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act
and the  federal Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines,
including, but  not limited to, the readily achievable standard, and the
standards applicable to  alterations to places of public accommodation.

PART B
FAIR HOUSING ACCESSIBILITY GUIDELINES

“Covered multifamily dwellings” or “covered multifamily dwellings subject
to the Fair Housing Amendments” means buildings consisting of four or more
dwelling units if such buildings have one or more elevators; and ground floor
dwelling units in other buildings consisting of four or more dwelling units.
Dwelling units within a single structure separated by firewall's do not
constitute separate buildings.

Hope this helps

Tom Ricci

In a message dated 6/12/2008 9:54:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,